Tutor Qualifications and Training
- High school diploma or a GED
- 18 years or older
- Desire to share the gift of literacy
- Be non-judgmental, flexible, and patient
We recommend three hours per week (usually two 1½ hour sessions) to meet with a learner.
Prior to being matched with a learner, volunteers attend a one-day training led by an experienced trainer. The training is comfortably paced, interactive and fun. Breakfast foods are provided, bring a sack lunch.
Trainees learn and explore:
- Reasons why adult learners enter into literacy programs
- Some of the cultural differences and learning styles that may affect tutoring
- How to assess a learner’s needs and work together to set attainable goals
- Techniques for working with native English speakers and English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students
- How to put everything together to create interesting and effective lesson plans
You must complete the volunteer tutor form before attending the new tutor training.