Office Systems and Procedures
Course Number: OS 245
Transcript Title: Office Systems and Procedures
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: June 10, 2016
Total Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 20
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Develops the skills of an administrative professional for current business practices. Uses computer technology for tasks such as scheduling, email, and faxing. Develops communication, organization and prioritizing skills, telephone techniques, problem solving, and analytical abilities. Analyzes current trends in workplace ethics and the multi-cultural workplace. Develops workplace readiness and applies job search skills for current job market. Prerequisites: CAS 216 and OS 220. Audit available.
- Apply current trends in workplace ethics in a multi-cultural environment.
- Use critical thinking skills to independently produce office documents.
- Efficiently manage multiple tasks of an administrative assistant.
- Utilize Microsoft applications such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to analyze case studies and create presentations.
- Communicate effectively via e-mail and posting to discussion forums.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: Projects with original work, reflection journals, group discussions, objective tests, open ended assessment, job shadow, integrated activity team project, simulation project.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: textbook and online readings and videos, online class discussions, reflection writings, open ended assignments, quizzes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Changing office environment
- Planning a career
- Office equipment
- Computer hardware/software
- Communicating effectively
- Ethics in business
- Multi-cultural workplace
- Office communications
- Meetings, Conferences
- Mail management
- Use software applications efficiently
- Develop schedules
- Use E-mail
- Operate Fax and Copy Machines
- Develop telephone techniques
- Develop communication skills
- Organize office work
- Prioritize office work
- Develop job search skills
- Develop business ethics
- Plan meetings and conferences
- Make travel arrangements
- Identify office mail-handling options
- Practice time and stress management
- Use the Internet