Local Applications / Alternative Energy
Course Number: GT 114
Transcript Title: Local App/Alternative Energy
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 3, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default)
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode: online
This course is an introduction to the basic concepts and terminology of alternative energy sources. Subjects that will be explored in this course are biodiesel, wind, solar cells, fuel cells, ocean wave, geothermal, hydrogen, connection to the grid (homeowners), electric vehicles, as well as other emerging types of energy production. Research into old technologies as well as new will be explored, and students will research the applications of alternative energy in their local/regional communities and economies, including opportunities for employment. Prerequisites: GT 101.
- Be aware of what a renewable resource is and of possible energy sources.
- Understand power grids and how to connect to them.
- Understand energy conservation.
- Understand the political climate that creates incentive for alternate energy production.
- Understand how alternate energy is created.
- Research new and old technologies dealing with alternate energy.
- Explore environmental effects of renewable and conventional energy production on the environment.
- Understand green power, green certificates, and what regulates the price of power on the market.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Intelitek on-line activities including end of section tests and final evaluation.
- Instructor generated evaluations including tests and projects.
- Hands on evaluation.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Alternative Energy Sources
- Renewable Resources
- Energy Conservation
- Power Grids
- Emerging Technologies
- Effects on the Environment
- Alternative Energy Production/Use in Local/Regional Communities and Economies
- Career Pathways in Alternative Energy
- Employment Opportunities in Alternative Energy
- Finding Work in Alternative Energy Occupations