Course Number: GT 110
Transcript Title: Workplace Communications
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 3, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default)
Repeats available for credit: 0
Approved delivery mode: online
Students will practice small group communication by participation in group discussions, readings, and written exercises. Attention to organization and conduct of problem-solving groups and learning. Emphasis is on (1) learning how to enhance group communication, how to deal effectively with conflict and to apply problem-solving techniques and (2) developing attitudes and skills applicable to leadership and successful participation in the workplace. Prerequisites: GT 101.
- Explain and apply different small group communication theories.
- Understand and demonstrate how to work in small groups to identify problems and implement solutions.
- Explain different strategies for addressing conflicts in groups.
- Demonstrate group leadership.
- Demonstrate responsibility as a group/team member.
- Discuss the importance of small group skills and knowledge related to workplace and civic activities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic principles and theories related to small group communication.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Intelitek on-line activities including end of section tests and final evaluation.
- Instructor generated evaluation including tests and projects.
- Hands on evaluation.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Interpersonal Communication
- Communication in the Workplace
- Small Group Communication
- Roles and Leadership
- Team Building
- Problem Identification and Solving
- Conflict and Power/Conflict Resolution
- Employer-Employees Relationships
- Communication with Diverse Populations
- Interviewing Skills