The Professional in ECE and Family Studies
Course Number: ECE 200
Transcript Title: The Professional in ECE & FS
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: February 23, 2016
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Surveys the history, current practices, and future issues of early childhood education. Reviews professionalism, parent interaction, job opportunities, ethical/legal issues, and community resources. Develops a professional philosophy. Prerequisites: WR 115. Audit available.
- Summarize historical, current, and future influences on the Early Childhood Educationand Family Studies (ECEFS) field.
- Evaluate personal knowledge, skills and interests in order to determine current placement in ECEFS field.
- Construct a professional development plan and resume specific for their career in ECEFS field.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include: interviews, resume, written observations, journal reflections, autobiography, self-assessment, professional plan, professional philosophy, group project, portfolio assignments, graphing assignment, and written assignments.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: online reading, discussion, reflection, interview, observations, community interviews, forums, portfolio work collection, final exam, and individual report assignment.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- History of Early Childhood Education.
- Current issues and research in ECE.
- Future issues in ECE.
- Ethical and legal issues.
- Resumes and job application skills.
- Advocacy skills.
- Resources for teachers, children, and families.
- Program models and philosophies.
- Career opportunities.
Competencies and Skills
- Ability to locate community resources for teachers, children, and families.
- Plan collaboratively.
- Select, organize, and retrieve data.
- Synthesize information.
- Research and reflect on professional development opportunities.
NAEYC standards that relate are Standard #6 - Becoming a Professional
Core Knowledge categories – Personal, Professional & Leadership Development (PPLD)