Cooking Experiences for Young Children
Course Number: ECE 187
Transcript Title: Cooking Exp for Young Children
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: February 23, 2016
Total Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Explorescooking with young children to help them learn language and literacy, math, science, cooperation, and healthy eating habits. Introduces ways to create and share cooking experiences with young children in a way that maximizes child participation and developmental opportunities and minimizes the potential for chaos. Audit available.
- Identify elements of quality cooking experiences for young children.
- Articulate the role of cooking in the acquisition of skills and concepts across all developmental domains.
- Design, implement and evaluate cooking experiences for children of varying ages (2 years to school age) and abilities.
- Identify solutions to common barriers and issues that arise when cooking with children.
- Describe the ways in which cooking with children can be a component of cultural validation and building relationships with families.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: participation in class and small group activities, written observations, assignments, reflective journal
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: class discussions, small group activities, observations of early education classrooms, written assignments, reflective journals
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Why cook with children?
- Design and implementation of quality cooking experiences.
- Facilitating learning and development across domains with cooking experiences.
- Use of cooking with children in the development of healthy eating habits and the prevention of childhood obesity.
- Involving families and communities in cooking projects with children.
- Addressing common barriers and issues that arise in cooking experiences.