Study Skills for College Learning
Course Number: CG 111A
Transcript Title: Study Skills for Coll Learning
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: July 10, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Provides information, techniques, and strategies helpful in becoming more efficient in studying, note taking, textbook reading, and taking exams. Develops skills in scheduling study time, library research, memory strategies, and critical thinking. Prerequisites: Placement into WR 90 and RD 90. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify learning style and apply preferred learning style.
- Utilize test-taking strategies.
- Utilize library resources for information and research.
- Use effective textbook reading techniques.
- Apply critical thinking skills.
- Evaluate memory strategies and review tools.
- Design a study schedule and choose strategies to manage procrastination.
- Apply note taking strategies.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include individual or group projects or group presentations, journals, case studies, reports, portfolios, papers, quizzes and examinations
Course Activities and Design
Lecture, group projects, small group work, readings, journaling, quizzes, personal reflection, discussion
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Study Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Presentation skills
- Test-taking skills
- Beginning research skills
- Use of appropriate learning style strategies
- Reflection on own learning process and style.