Course Number: CAS 217
Transcript Title: Intermediate Word
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: June 19, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 10
Lecture / Lab Hours: 40
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
CAS 216 or instructor permission
Introduces intermediate and advanced features of Microsoft Word text documents enhancement through special formatting features such as graphic lines and images; create and format advanced tables and formatting themes and styles; work with headers and footers in multi-page documents; use advanced merge; create documents with columns; and create and use fill-in forms. Includes integrated documents with Excel, PowerPoint, and web-based applications. Develops the management and editing of documents in an online collaborative work environment. Recommended: Placement into RD 115 and WR 115. Prerequisite: CAS 216 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use advanced features of Microsoft Word to produce documents following current professional and/or industry standards.
- Efficiently create, organize, edit, print and manage files and documents by using advanced Word tools to promote reader/audience understanding.
- Apply critical thinking skills to independently design and create a variety of documents utilizing advanced Word tools.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: Projects with original work, reflection journals, group discussions, and open ended assessment, objective and production tests on basic document functions.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: readings and videos, class discussions, reflection writings, open ended assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Utilize advanced program tools to produce an error free document
- Create and edit memos, letters, and reports of varying complexity using advanced program tools
- Proofread documents to validate content using spelling/grammar check, using autocorrect & customization of dictionary
- Sharing, maintaining, and organizing documents through utilization of a variety of file types, managing document versions, saving documents, and applying templates
- Organize content of documents using tables, lists, and other structures to enhance readability
- Link and embed files from other Microsoft applications and copy macros between documents
- Manage the process of creating, editing, and reviewing documents in a collaborative work environment.
- Utilize various advanced Word tools, such as graphics, images, borders, columns WordArt, headers/footers, footnotes/endnotes, and tables to enhance the visual appeal and readability of documents
- Create templates and forms according to professional industry standards
May also include:
- Sorting and formulas
- Advanced use of and customization of Themes & Style
- Supporting pages of reports (such as table of contents and index)
- Charts and graphs
- Apply advanced features of word processing software.
- Use file management techniques to properly save, rename, and/or delete files.
- Create, format, & apply advanced formatting in tables.
- Enhance documents using graphic lines and images.
- Create headers and footers including different headers and footers within the same document.
- Use advanced mail merge procedures such as adding/deleting files, query options, and fill-in fields.
- Create and use templates and forms.
- Create documents using columns.
- Create new and use existing styles to format documents.
- Use styles to create supporting pages for documents (table of contents, index).
- Integrate other software into documents (Excel).
- Apply safety techniques of relaxation and exercise to prevent computer-related disabilities such as carpal tunnel and eyestrain.
- Demonstrate safe handling of software and hardware.