Course Number: BA 239
Transcript Title: Advertising
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: June 19, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Exploresthe elements of advertising such as planning and creating. Covers the identification of a target audience and strategies for how to reach it. Stresses integrated marketing communication since advertising is a component of marketing. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115, and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of Advertising, the student will be able to:
- Understand the overall role advertising plays in marketing to consumers and businesses.
- Recognize and understand the differences between and within consumer and business target markets.
- Understand advertising strategies.
- Identify and use various advertising media.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: group discussions, case study analysis, individual or group projects, presentations, completion of examinations and quizzes.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: lecture, discussion, demonstrations, online lessons, in class activities, outside readings, written assignments, research projects, group project, guest lecturers/speakers, panel discussions, or other activities as selected by the instructor.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- History of advertising and how it has evolved.
- Target marketing and the marketing mix.
- Communication and consumer behavior.
- Planning in advertising and marketing.
- Creative process: strategy, process, art, and copy.
- Diversity of media channels used to reach the target audience.
- Integrated marketing communication.