Principles of Sales
Course Number: BA 238
Transcript Title: Principles of Sales
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: June 19, 2015
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Explores the principles of sales for business to business and business to consumer sales with a focus on relationship selling. Covers the psychology of selling with respect to why people buy and the communication process. Dissects the sales process from prospecting, through presentation, to follow-up. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115, and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand and apply the elements of sales: buyer behavior, communication skills, products, prices, distribution, promotion, and competition.
- Utilize selling techniques that involve prospecting, planning, presenting, handling objectives, closing, follow-up, and servicing customers after the sale.
- Recognize current issues and situations related to sales that may be different from the norm.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment may include: Homework, abstracts, roll-play sales presentations, individual or group projects with original work, group discussions, case study analysis, presentations, completion of examinations and quizzes.
Course Activities and Design
Activities may include: readings and videos, class discussions, written homework, presentations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Define and explain selling, especially relationship selling.
- Define and explain marketing and marketing concepts and how sales fit in the marketing concept.
- Recognize the importance of social, ethical, and legal issues as professional sales personnel.
- Understand the psychology of selling
- Develop the ability to effectively communicate to achieve sales success.
- Understand that successful salespeople are knowledgeable.
- Understand the process of prospecting and the pre-approach.
- Know how to select a sales presentation.
- Recognize the elements of the sales presentation and when to use which.
- Learn how to skillfully handle prospect's questions, resistance, and objections.
- Learn the elements of closing a sale and which to use for a given situation.
- Understand the importance of building relationships through service.
- Discuss time, territory, and self-management.
- Review sales management.