Course Number: BA 177
Transcript Title: Payroll Accounting
Created: September 1, 2012
Updated: April 13, 2016
Total Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 30
Lecture / Lab Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 0
Satisfies Cultural Literacy requirement: No
Satisfies General Education requirement: No
Grading options: A-F (default), P-NP, audit
Repeats available for credit: 0
Covers fundamental skills and basic knowledge in the area of business payroll; personnel record keeping; calculation of gross pay using various methods; calculation of Social Security and Medicare taxes; calculation of federal and state income and unemployment taxes; journalizing and posting payroll entries; and completing various federal and state forms. Prerequisites: BA 111 or BA 211. Recommended: BA 104. Audit available.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply an understanding of the basic payroll accounting function and tasks.
- Prepare payroll reports containing gross taxable compensations, common withholdings, net pay amounts, and do the related accounting for an employer.
- Determine employer taxes and explain payments procedures.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment methods may include: examinations, quizzes, homework assignments, research papers, and small group problem-solving of questions arising from application of course concepts and concerns to actual experience, oral presentations.
Course Activities and Design
Course activities may include: lecture, discussion, demonstrations, online lessons, in class activities, outside readings, written assignments, research projects, group project, guest lecturers/speakers, panel discussions, or other activities as selected by the instructor.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Calculation of gross pay and net pay for an employee
- Journaling all payroll transactions
- Calculation of employer's unemployment taxes
- Recording of a payroll in a payroll register and subsequent necessary journaling
- Recording in an employee's earnings record
- Location, use and proper completion of necessary forms to support federal and state regulations to payroll