Pathfinder Career and Transfer Center Frequently Asked Questions

Can I drop classes?

EC Students should refer to the Calendar of Instruction for drop dates. Students should also communicate with their EC high school representative prior to dropping a class.

How can I prepare for Placement Assessment?

Visit our Placement Assessment page to:

  •     Schedule the test.
  •     Access sample test questions.
  •     Download placement assessment study guides.
  •     Learn about free math and science tutorials.

How do I order a transcript?

What happens if school starts and my financial aid award is not ready yet?

Financial aid refunds begin the second Friday of each term. After this point, if you have not been awarded, a late fee will be added to your account but removed once your award letter is processed. Any credit balance remaining on your account (after tuition, fees and books are deducted) will be refunded to you.

What if I am struggling in a class?

EC students who are struggling in class have many resources to support them. The key to success is early detection and early intervention. As soon as you think you are struggling in class, you should contact your EC high school representative. You should also contact the instructor for your class, to alert them that you are struggling. Other resources for support are your EC College Advisor, Mike Taphouse and the PASS program advisor, Shayna Dahl While there are many people who are part of the team to encourage and support you, it is the student’s responsibility to ask for support.

A class that I need for my degree is not offered this term. Where do I get help?

Consult Degree Planning to see what classes are offered in upcoming terms. If you need this class to graduate or to apply to a limited-entry program contact an advisor for assistance.

Are classes I take in summer term covered by my Gorge Scholars waiver?

The summer prior to your first fall term is not covered. However, you may take up to 18 credits during summer term between your first and second year in the Gorge Scholars program.

Are there any tax credits to help pay higher education costs?

Yes, there are a variety of tax credits, deductions and savings plans available to taxpayers to assist with the expense of higher education.

  • A tax credit reduces the amount of income tax you may have to pay.
  • A deduction reduces the amount of your income that is subject to tax, thus generally reducing the amount of tax you may have to pay.
  • Certain savings plans allow the accumulated interest to grow tax-free until money is taken out (known as a distribution), or allow the distribution to be tax-free, or both.
  • An exclusion from income means that you won't have to pay income tax on the benefit you're receiving, but you also won't be able to use that same tax-free benefit for a deduction or credit.

Education credits are claimed on Form 8863, Education Credits (Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits). For details on these and other education-related tax breaks, see IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits of Education.

Can I charge the rental to my financial aid?

Yes, you can use your financial aid to pay the rental fee.

Can I continue at CGCC after high school?

EC students have the opportunity of continuing their higher education studies at Columbia Gorge Community College to finish a program or complete an Associate Degree after graduating from high school. Students can meet with an Academic Advisor to discuss courses required for degree completion.  Students taking classes after high school may be eligible to apply for Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Can I drop an Expanded Options class?

Yes, you can drop or withdraw from your Expanded Options classes:

  • Dropping a class can be done during the first week of the term. No charges will be applied nor grades assigned to your record. Drop deadlines vary for classes shorter than 11-weeks.
  • Withdrawing from a class can be done by the end of the 8th week of the term. You or your high school will be charged for the class and a letter “W” (withdraw) will be assigned to your transcript. Withdraw deadline vary for classes shorter than 11-weeks.

Please consult with a CGCC academic advisor and your high school counselor before dropping or withdrawing from classes. 

Can I drop my Running Start classes?

Running Start students may drop their classes. Any changes to a Running Start student's schedule requires a new Running Start Enrollment Verfication form to be signed, completed and submitted immediately reflecting the revised Running Start FTE eligibility. This informs all parties of the effect of the schedule change on the claimable FTE.

Can I get a refund on a rented book if I decide I don’t want it or if I drop the class?

Yes. Refunds for rented textbooks will be treated in the same manner as refunds for purchased textbooks. Refunds are allowed through the first week of class. Please check the website for exact dates. New rental books must still be in new condition for a full refund. Receipts are required forb ALL refunds.

Can I make changes to my schedule?

Students can make changes to their schedules, depending on which week of the term. Any changes to a student's schedule after the initial registration may be made with CGCC's online registration system: MyCGCC.

In accordance with WA state legislature, Running Start students must also complete a new Running Start Enrollment Verification form indicating any changes to their schedule and tuition. This updated form must be returned to Student Services. This informs all parties of the effect of the schedule change on the claimable FTE and gives the college the opportunity to contact the parents/student for tuition if necessary. Failure to follow this procedure of notification may result in the student incurring the cost of tuition for the withdrawn courses.

Can I make changes to my schedule?

Students can make changes to their schedules, depending on which week of the term. The Calendar of Instruction lists dates for dropping and withdrawing from courses. Classes may be added during the first week of term (with some exceptions). Any changes to a student's schedule after the initial registration may be made with CGCC's online registration system: MyCGCC. Students should first check with their EC high school representative before making changes to their schedule.

Can I read ebooks on my portable device?

Ebook Central

  • For computers, download the ebook formatted as a PDF and use Adobe Reader, available to download for free, to view.
  • For iPads, iPhones and Android devices, use the Bluefire Reader app.
  • For an e-reader (e.g. a Kindle or Nook), use Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), which can be downloaded for free.  Not all e-readers are compatible with ADE.

Google Books

  • It depends on the book.  Google Books also includes previews and purchasing information for books.  For others, it provides the ebook, sometimes for free, sometimes at a cost.  For each book, it will tell you if an ebook is available, how much it costs, and which devices it can be read on.

Can I return a book I bought at The Dalles Campus Bookstore to the Hood River - Indian Creek Campus Bookstore (or vise versa)?

Yes, you can return a book at either campus, regardless of where you purchased it. You may receive a full refund for books if they are returned in their original condition (including shrink wrap when applicable) and accompanied by a sales receipt during the first week of each term for which they were purchased.

Can I use a highlighter in my rental books?

Minimal highlighting and marking is allowed. If marks are excessive (more than a few pages) you will be charged the difference between the rental and purchase prices.

Can my AP, CLEP, or other non-traditional credit be used in place of equivalent eligibility requirements?

Yes, provided you have completed the non-traditional credit process, and those classes are transcripted.

Can the SBDC's commercial kitchen be used to produce marijuana edibles?

No. Regardless of any Oregon state laws that may permit business endeavors related to recreational or medical marijuana businesses, the SBDC is prohibitted from offering our commercial kitchen resources to marijuana business clients. The SBDC recieves a portion of our funding from the federal government. With marijuana still illegal under federal law, we are prevented from assisting clients engaged in the manufacture, processing, sale or distribution of marijuana. Further, CGCC is a drug-free campus.

Do all CAS/OS classes use Moodle (our learner management system)?

Almost all CAS/OS classes use Moodle for some of their course content, even though they may be Face to Face (f2f), Hybrid (HB) or Online (OL). To access Moodle login to MyCGCC, set up an account and find the course for the term you are in.

Do I have to be licensed to watch children?

You are not required to be licensed if:

  • You only care for children on an occasional basis
  • You care for 3 or fewer children or children from only one family at a time, not including your own children
  • You are a primarily educational program for children three years old and older, but not attending kindergarten, for four or fewer hours a day
  • You provide care in the child’s own home
  • You are related to the child by blood, marriage or adoption

Learn more about the types of child care in Oregon including child care provider licensing requirements.

Do I have to pay taxes on my child care income?

Yes, in Oregon, child care is considered a small business and must report their income and file taxes. Child Care Partners offers business classes for child care providers, which offer information on record keeping. Typically in January, Child Care Partners offers a tax workshop specifically for child care providers. The most important thing to remember is to save all of your receipts.

Do I have to register for a free class?

Yes. You must register even for free classes, we need to stay within class size limits. Learn more: registration process

Do I have to wait until I file taxes to file the FAFSA?

No, you should file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 each year. You may use estimated tax figures by indicating on the FAFSA that you 'Will File', but have not yet done so. Remember, some financial aid funds are quite limited and are awarded to eligible students on a first come, first served basis.

Does the SBDC assist companies involved in the manufacture, processing, sale or distribution of marijuana?

No. Regardless of any Oregon state laws that may permit business endeavors related to recreational or medical marijuana businesses, the SBDC is prohibitted from counseling marijuana business clients. The SBDC recieves a portion of our funding from the federal government. With marijuana still illegal under federal law, we are prevented from assisting clients engaged in the manufacture, processing, sale or distribution of marijuana.

How are refunds processed?

The Business Office issues refunds to students as follows:

  • Refunds from tuition, fees and bookstore charges are first applied to outstanding charges on your account.
  • If the credit is the result of a payment by check or cash, a check is issued in the student's name.
  • If the credit is the result of a bank card payment, the refund will be applied to the original bank card.
  • Refunds resulting from check over payment are held two weeks from the date of the original payment.

Credit Classes

Drop by the following dates for full refund:

  • 8-12 week classes: drop by the end of the first Friday of the term
  • 2-7 week classes: drop by the end of the first day of class
  • Less than 2 week classes: drop before the first day the class meets

Adult Continuing Education

Students are entitled to a 100% refund when a course is dropped before these deadlines:

  • Class that meets 1-2 weeeks: drop prior to the first session
  • Class that meets 3 or more weeks: drop prior to the second session

No refunds will be given after the deadline.

How are scholarships applied to my charges?

CGCC Foundation scholarship awards are applied directly to your account. Scholarship checks from private donors, service clubs, or schools are applied to your account when received. You are responsible for charges that exceed your award.

How can I access Library Resources?

 CGCC’s Library has many resources both on campus and online, such as research databases, interlibrary loan, research guides and more. Students may apply for a library card online.

How can I check my College Now grades?

You can check your grades online through your MyCGCC account

How can I estimate my finanical aid eligibility?

How can I find more children to enroll in my child care program?

Join Child Care Partners provider network and let us know that you have openings in your program. Child Care Partners refers parents looking for child care to providers enrolled in our program who are offering the type of care the parent is looking for. 

Child Care Partners is only one way to market your program. It is also important to talk with friends, neighbors, parents of children currently in your program, your church, etc. The best marketing for a child care program will always be the referral of a parent using your program. Word of mouth is your best source of referrals.

How can I find out about scholarships?

The Columbia Gorge Community College Foundation average annually award is over $80,000 in scholarships to students each year in both full year and quarterly scholarships as well as full year scholarships for graduating high school seniors. Also, research private scholarship opportunities through web-based scholarship search services such as fastweb and GetCollegeFunds as well as local organizations and libraries.

How can I get Federal Work Study (FWS)?

A CGCC student must indicate an interest on the work study question on the FAFSA. If eligible, you will be notified through your student email then you must contact the Financial Aid Office for next steps.

CGCC has a limited number of work study positions each year. An email will be sent to interested students at the beginning of summer term and fall term giving further directions on how to receive a Federal Work Study position.

How can I pay for my College Now class?

You can pay online with a debit or credit card when you register or you may choose to be billed by CGCC and pay by mail.The cost of the course is non-refundable.

How can I pay in installments?

An installment plan allows you to pay half of your tuition and fees by the first Friday of the term, and defer the balance until the sixth Friday of the term. The following requirements must be met:

  • Valid social security number
  • Satisfactory payment history
  • Zero account balance
Spring Term 2014 Summer Term 2014 Fall Term 2014 Winter Term 2015 Spring Term 2015 Summer Term 2015
April 4, 2014 June 27, 2014 Sept 26, 2014 Jan 9, 2015 April 3, 2015 June 26, 2015
May 09, 2014 Aug 01, 2014 Oct 31, 2014 Feb 13, 2015 May 8, 2015 July 31, 2015

Apply in person or phone

Business Office Cashier, The Dalles Campus, Building 2, Rm 2.131, (541) 506-6057
Student Services Cashier, The Dalles Campus, Building 3, (541) 506-6011

CGCC may deny or rescind an Installment Plan Agreement if you miss the required payment due dates, provide inaccurate or incomplete information, have a poor credit history with the college, or do not meet the eligibility requirements.

How can I practice for the GED?

The library has a database LearningExpress Library: High School Equivalency Center which contains practice work for the GED® Test. A library card is not needed for off-campus access. You will need to create a free login to start.

How can I prepare for the placement assessment?

Visit our Placement Assessment page to:

  • Schedule the test.
  • Access sample test questions.
  • Download placement assessment study guides.
  • Learn about free math and science tutorials.

Note: Some Expanded Options classes do not require Placement Assessment scores. Check with a CGCC advisor for details. 

How can I register for a College Now class?

Please refer to page 6 of the College Now Student Handbook1MB to read about the College Now registration process.

How do home-schooled and private school students access Running Start?

Washington state home schooled or private school students may access the Running Start program by enrolling through their local public high school and must be considered a junior or senior. You do not have to attend classes in the public high school in order to participate in Running Start, but you must meet the college placement test scores for Reading and Writing to be eligible.

How do I access databases from off campus?

When prompted, enter

  • Your library card number - all 14 numbers without spaces
  • Your password - the default is the last 4 digits of your phone number

The one exception is LearningExpress Library; you do not need a card to use this database. Need to get a CGCC library card? Forgot your card number or password? Contact us.

How do I access my online class?

How do I adjust my schedule?

You may make changes in your course schedule through the end of the first week of the term. The changes should be approved by an advisor.

Adding a class

You can add a class using MyCGCC at any time before the beginning of the term.

Once a class has started, a written approval of the instructor is required. Use the Student Teacher Consultation Form to obtain the approval and submit the form to Student Services Office.

Dropping versus withdrawing from a class

There is an important difference between Dropping and Withdrawing from a class:

  • Dropping a class can be done during the first week of the term. No charges will be applied nor grades assigned to your record. Drop deadlines vary for classes shorter than 11-weeks.
  • Withdrawing from a class can be done by the end of the 8th week of the term. You will be charged for the class and a letter “W” (withdraw) will be assigned to your transcript. Withdraw deadline vary for classes shorter than 11-weeks.

Dropping or withdrawing from a class may affect your financial aid eligibility. Consult with our Financial Aid Office before dropping or withdrawing from classes.

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for all federal and state financial aid you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  

How do I become a volunteer literacy tutor?

Complete our volunteer literacy tutor application form then attend a one day new tutor training session. If we do not have one scheduled, we can do a simplified one-on-one training to get you started with a learner, and then you may attend the next scheduled formal training. Learn more: literacy tutor qualifications and training.

How do I connect to the WiFi?

The entire CGCC campus, including the library, is equipped with free wireless Internet access to students, staff, faculty and guests. If you have problems accessing wireless service, please ask the library staff for assistance.

  • Network is named CGCC-Wifi 
  • No password
  • Before you continue, you'll be asked to agree to a statement from the IT department

How do I edit/correct a mistake on my FAFSA?

If you find incorrect information on your FAFSA or you originally used estimated information and need to report actual figures, changes can be made online. If the information is found to be incorrect after you have been awarded, you will need to contact the Financial Aid Office for further instructions.

How do I find my books in The Dalles Campus Bookstore?

Start by bringing your schedule with you so you know what classes and instructors you have. The same class often has more than one section with different instructors who require different books.

The books are organized alphabetically by the course code. For example, Introduction to Physical Anthropology has course code ATH 101 and the books are located on the bookshelves at the front of the store, while Introduction to Expository Writing has course code WR 115 and those books are on the bookshelves toward the back.

The bookshelves are labeled with the course code, course title, instructor, title of the textbook, and cost.

How do I get a grant from the SBDC?

The SBDC does not offer any grants or loans. However, we will assist a business in developing business plans, loan applications and identifying other potential financial resources.

How do I get a library card?

A library card, also referred to as a library barcode, can be requested by anyone who is currently taking classes at Columbia Gorge Community College (CGCC). Request a card by coming in person, calling 541-506-6081 or online.

Hood River and The Dalles public library patrons can use their public library card to use the resources at the CGCC library.

How do I get help with online or hybrid classes?

Contact the Helpdesk, (541) 506-6084.

How do I get my refund?

Refund checks (if a balance remains after all charges are applied to your aid) are mailed to students beginning the second Friday of each term.

How do I know what books I'll need for my class?

By using the Booklist which is available online or in the bookstore. You can search it by course number, course title, and instructor. The booklist will have all the information you need; the price for new and used books, the title, author, publisher and the ISBN. The ISBN is a unique number that is assigned to every book. If you are buying your book from a source other than CGCC Bookstore be sure to use the ISBN to order your book. That way you will have the correct edition and get the exact same book that the instructor is requiring.

How do I pay with my financial aid award?

If you have received and returned your award letter, financial aid awards will be posted to your account. If your award exceeds your account balance, you will receive a refund check by mail.

If your award is not enough to cover all term charges, you must pay the difference by the first Friday of the term. If your aid is delayed, you will need to pay by this date. Any excess payment will be refunded after the award has been posted to your account.

How do I print in the library?

The library has a print management system:

  • Log onto the computer with your library barcode
  • Currently registered students get $5 worth of free printing per quarter (printing costs)
  • If you have no money in your account, you can add more at the Library Help Desk
  • Remaining balances will roll over to the next quarter

How do I register a complaint about a class?

Contact the Community Education administrator directly, call (541) 506-6123, to discuss your situation, or complete a customer satisfaction survey.

How do I register for a Community Education class?

Register Online (learn more: registration process)

By Phone: Call (541) 506-6011

By Mail or Fax
CGCC registration form
400 East Scenic Drive
The Dalles, OR 97058-3434
Fax: (541) 298-3104

In Person: Visit either campus: The Dalles Campus or Hood River - Indian Creek Campus

How do I register for classes?

You can register for classes by using your student account MyCGCC. Learn about the registration process.

How do I remove tuition charges from my account?

If an extreme hardship prevented you from completing a course, and you could not drop during the refund period, you may request to have tuition charges removed from your account. Fees, especially any non-refundable lab fees may not be refunded. A form for requesting a refund can be obtained from the Student Services office in The Dalles or Hood River.  You will be asked to provide documentation of your circumstances to support your claim. Your petition, and all accompanying documentation, must be received by the filing deadline to be considered. Please see the form for more details.

How do I renew items I have checked out?

There are several ways to renew books and other items you have checked out.

How do I request a tax return transcript from the IRS?

If you have been asked to provide a copy of you and/or your parents’ Tax Return Transcript, you are able to use FAFSA on the Web to electronically view your tax information by using the Link to IRS feature found on the FAFSA website (preferred method). With just a few simple steps, the tax information can also be securely transferred into the FAFSA, or request a tax return transcript from the IRS.

Be sure to request a Tax Return Transcript. Do not request a Tax Account Transcript or Record of Account because they cannot be used for financial aid verification purposes.

Other ways to order

How do I request a tutor?

Call (541) 506-6043 to set up an intake appointment where we will talk about what you need and your goals for tutoring. We will also do some informal testing to determine your reading and writing level, discuss any preferences you may have regarding your tutor, and your scheduling needs.

How do I request an evaluation of transfer credits through Portland Community College?

  1. Log into MyPCC
  2. Click on the "College Business" Tab
  3. Click on the "Transfer Credit Evaluation" link
  4. Once the evaluation is completed, you will be notified via MyPCC.

How do I sign up to take the GED tests?

You need to sign up online for the GED® test.

You can view step by step directions.

Tests are administered through Student Services on The Dalles Campus.

You must bring two pieces of acceptable identification. Acceptable forms of identification include government-issued identification (both national and foreign), provided that the identification includes date of birth, photograph, address and signature. Examples of acceptable identification include drivers' licenses, passports, and military and government identification cards. Your second piece of ID must include your name and signature, such as a credit card.

How do I submit grades of my students to CGCC?

Instructors are asked to submit their student's grades online.

Grades are due at the conclusion of your College Now course. If you are teaching a sequence, grades should be submitted at the end of each course within the term.

Students enrolled in a sequence course (such as WR 121, 122) must pass each course with a minimum grade of "C" prior to enrolling in a subsequent level.

It is CGCC's intention that high school students will succeed in their College Now courses, however, should factors impede their success, students should consider withdrawing from the course to avoid receiving a "D" or "F" grade and being placed on academic probation at CGCC.

It is the responsibility of the student to notify their instructor by the stated deadline if they wish to withdraw from a course. The instructor will then notify CGCC's Student Services to withdraw the student. Instructors are encouraged to remind students of the withdrawal deadline. 

How do my students register for the College Now course at CGCC?

Please refer to page 6 of the College Now Student Handbook to read about the College Now registration process.

How does financial aid work in the bookstore?

Eligible students may use their financial aid to pay for books and supplies in the bookstore; we call it "Charging on your student account". Refer to the course schedule for specific dates of availability for financial aid.

How does my company or agency pay for my classes?

Arrangements for payment by an agency or company must be approved by the college before the term starts. Once arrangements have been made, take your payment authorization to the Business Office, or fax it to (541) 506-6052 before the term begins.

The student is responsible to ensure that a payment authorization is on file by the payment due date, and for payment of any unpaid charges and late payment penalties.

How does the number of credits I am enrolled in affect my financial aid?

Your financial aid is based on the number of credits you take per term. For example, if you enroll for 12 or more credits (full-time enrollment) you will be eligible for 100% of funds available to you for that term as indicated in your award letter. However, if you enroll just for 6 to 8 credits (half-time enrollment) you will receive just 50% of the financial aid available to you. 

Classes that are waitlisted do not count towards financial aid enrollement status.

How does the Running Start program work?

Students in the Running Start program may attend regular day or evening classes, or choose to take courses fully online or as hybrid courses. Running Start students are treated as regular college students by CGCC instructors and are expected to comply with college expectations of students. Once a college class has been successfully completed, the Running Start student will be awarded college and high school credit for their college course. Running Start student's academic records and transcripts will be kept at CGCC, their schedule of classes and grades will be sent to their high school each term.

How does the waitlist work?

If a class is full you can put yourself on a waitlist. If a space becomes available before the term begins, the first student on the list will be contacted via CGCC Student Email with an offer to join the class. The waitlist is maintained on a first-come, first-serve basis.

  • Only add yourself to a waitlist by the first day of the term.
  • Ensure your contact information is correct.
  • Prior to the first day of the class, the first 5 waitlisted students will be contacted to attend the class. Only those 5 students should attend.
  • Classes that are waitlisted do not count towards financial aid enrollment status.

How is financial need determined?

A student’s financial need is determined by using the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). This number results from the financial information you provide in your FAFSA application. Your EFC is reported to you on your Student Aid Report (SAR).

The EFC takes into account the number of people in the household, the number of people in college, the state the student and/or parent resides in, the age of the student and/or parents, as well as the student’s and/or parents’ income and assets. The Cost of Attendance (COA) is determined by the CGCC financial aid office each year in conjunction with federal guidelines and actual per credit tuition.

How long does it take to become a licensed child care provider?

Once you have completed and sent your application in to the Office of Child Care it generally takes 4-6 weeks for it to be processed.

Learn more about the types of child care in Oregon including child care provider licensing requirements.

How long does the verification process take?

The total processing time is about 3 – 4 weeks. Processing time can be longer, particularly at the beginning of the school year or at the beginning or ending of a term when financial aid staff are busy with other financial aid processes.

How long will it take me to get my GED?

This varies from student to student. Your progress will be determined by your skill level when you start and, more importantly, by the time and effort you put into studying and attending classes. Plan your schedule and commit to attending all your scheduled classes to make the most rapid progress toward your goals

How long will it take to be matched with a tutor?

We do our best to match you as quickly as possible, but sometimes learners will be placed on waiting list if no tutors are immediately available or fit your needs.

How many classes can I take per quarter?

Running Start students are eligible to take up to 15 credits per term for a total of 1.00 FTE . Fifteen credits are the equivalent of 3 to 4 courses, depending on the number of credits for each course. Students must work closely with their high school counselor to determine how many credits they are eligible for under the Running Start program. High school classes combined with college classes must not exceed 1.20 FTE.

How many credit hours do I need to take to be eligible for loans?

You must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours each term to be eligible for loans.

How many credits should I take?

Successfully completing college classes requires time. One credit equals 1 hour of class on campus or online per week. For example, a  4-credit class equals 4 hours of class time per week. For every hour in class, plan for 1½ -2 hours of homework time. Therefore, full time students (12 or more credits) should plan for about 36 hours per week of class time and homework.

How many guests can I bring to the commencement ceremony?

Family and friends are welcome. Please bear in mind that we are able to provide about 800 seats and that the ceremony takes places outside on the campus amphitheater. 

Auxiliary aides and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Contact Disability Resources or the Event Coordinator, (541) 506-6013, a week before the event.

How much do you buy back used books for?

We only buy back books that were purchased from CGCC Bookstores. In general, depending on condition, the bookstore will buy back books at half of the purchase price. Not all books are bought back, only ones that will be required for a future class.

How much does it cost to take the tests?

The GED® test is $38 per test. You will need to pay online when you register to take an official test.

How much does the College Now cost?

The tuition for College Now courses is offered at the discounted rate of $44.50 per class.

How to I get textbooks for my classes?

Inquire at your high school about a textbook voucher, which you can redeem for a textbook(s) at the CGCC Bookstore. Consult with the bookstore staff for textbooks needed for your classes. 

How will I know my child is safe?

Your role does not end when you have selected a provider for your child. You need to visit the child care provider often and at times when you are not expected. If your child is old enough, ask them about their day and listen to see if they are active, engaged and happy to be there.

Visit the Office of Child Care website to see if your provider has had any founded complaints or non-compliances or call the Oregon Early Learning Division at 1-800-556-6616.

I am a veteran. How do I verify my military service?

Provide a DD-214 with your application.

I am earning a modified high school diploma, am I eligible?

No, students must earn a regular high school (or home school) diploma to be eligible.

I am going to transfer to/from CGCC, what do I need to do?

If you wish to transfer to CGCC, you need to add CGCC’s school code (041519) to your FAFSA.

If you know your Data Release Number (DRN) which is located at the top of your Student Aid Report (SAR), you may call the Central Processing System (CPS) at (800) 433-3243 and add CGCC’s school code over the phone.

We cannot process your request for aid until we have received your FAFSA data. You must also release your aid from the school you are transferring from, please contact them directly.

If you are transferring from CGCC to another school, you should contact our office by using the Enrollment Change Form to insure that all remaining aid can be released allowing the other college to award you. It is also advised that you be familiar with and in contact with the financial aid office of the college you are transferring to.

I can't access my online class. What does "the class is not enrollable at this time" mean?

If you can access the Moodle main menu screen, but it displays the message "This course is not enrollable at this time" when you try to access individual courses, email your instructor to be added to their Moodle roster.

Can't access your Moodle account? Contact Ron Watrus,, (541) 506-6084 or Student Services, (541) 606-6011

I can't log in to MyCGCC. What do I do?

Try to reset your password. If you need help, contact Student Services.

I can't register for a class. What does "prerequisites not met" mean?

Prerequisites are classes required in order to take more advanced classes. Consult the class schedule to learn about prerequisites for specific classes.

If you have completed prerequisite classes at another college, schedule an appointment with an advisor and bring your unofficial or official transcripts to the appointment to have the prerequisites overridden.

I do not have an "OK to Register." What should I do?

To receive an "OK to Register," contact an advisor.

I got a Pell Grant and/or Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG) last year, why did I not get the same thing this year? (Why is my aid different this year?)

Most likely your or your parents’ income increased. In some cases, the household size or number in college has changed reducing or eliminating eligibility.

Each year students must complete the FAFSA reflecting the prior year’s tax information. Your (and/or your parent’s) income and asset information may have changed since the prior year. Even small changes can affect certain eligibility for aid. Each year the federal government reviews and modifies the formulas used to calculate a family’s financial strength that is reflected in the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

I graduate in June; may I apply now?

Yes. Applications are considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Submit your completed application as soon as possible. Even if you have not yet graduated.  CGCC will send all applicants an initial letter towards the end of April with details of required documentation and when to submit them.

I graduated last year, am I eligible?

No. Eligibility is not retroactive. You must enroll in the program in the fall term immediately following completion of high school.

I had a family emergency that prevented me from completing a class, can I get a refund for the class?

You can petition for a refund by contacting the Community Education administrator at (541) 506-6123.

I have a 3.29 or 3.299 cumulative GPA, am I eligible?

The GPA threshold for eligibility is 3.30. Because 3.299 rounded to the nearest 100th decimal point is 3.30, 3.299 meets the requirement. A 3.29 GPA does not meet the requirement.

I have no idea what career to pursue. Can you help me?

Yes! The Pathfinder Career Center offers self-assessments that can help you learn more about your personality, interests, skills and values. You can also learn what occupations that might be interesting to you. Our career counselor can help you further understand your assessment results and guide you in researching occupations and educational programs.

I never received aid at CGCC and paid for classes on my own so why am I disqualified?

Under the federal laws regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), all terms of a student’s college experience at CGCC must be reviewed. Non-aid recipients cannot be treated differently than aid recipients when assigning SAP status.

I passed all of my GED tests; how do I get my transcript and certificate?

Effective March 1, 2015, Oregon will transition its credentialing process from the issuance of paper transcripts and GED® certificates to a paperless web-based credentialing system. As with any new process, there will be changes and questions.

I plan to transfer. What degree should I choose?

Columbia Gorge Community College (CGCC) offers several transfer degrees: 

You must work closely with an advisor to insure the transferability of your degree.

Students pursuing a bachelor's degree in engineering should plan to transfer after one year at CGCC, rather than pursue a transfer degree. Contact an academic advisor for help with transfer planning. 

I received confirmation that my FAFSA was processed. What is the status of my financial aid application?

When you receive notification from the Department of Education that your FAFSA has been processed, CGCC will also receive a copy of your record and will begin processing your application for financial aid. CGCC has a two level review of all FAFSA applications.

  • Initial Review - the first review to determine what documents are needed to make your file complete. We will notify you through your student email account of any additional documents needed to complete your file.
  • Verification Review - the second review to ensure that your aid meets all of the federal laws related to financial aid eligibility. An award letter will be sent to your student email account once this review process has been completed.

You may obtain information about your financial aid status by logging in to your student account and selecting Check Financial Aid Status.

If I decline loans now and later decide I need a loan, can I obtain one?

Yes, complete the Federal Direct Loan Revision Request Form and submit it to the Financial Aid office.

If I drop a course, can I get a refund?

Yes, as long as you drop it by the refund date.

If I miss the first class, will I be automatically dropped from the course?

No. The only way you will be dropped from a Community Education class is if you ask to be dropped, or drop the class using MyCGCC. You will be responsible for paying for the class unless you drop it by the refund date.

If I never attend a class I register for, do I still have to pay for it?

Yes, unless you officially drop the class by the refund date for that class.

If I take two terms off from school, will I go into repayment?

Yes, you will be contacted by your loan processor to begin repayment. If you subsequently enroll in school, you can obtain an in-school deferment by providing enrollment information to your lender. You can determine your lender by logging into your account with the National Student Loan Data Service.

If I’m in default on my student loan, what can I do?

You must resolve defaulted loans directly with your lender to be eligible for Federal aid. You can determine your lender by logging into your account with the National Student Loan Data Service

If my friend and I do child care together, can we take more children?

No, you cannot take more than the number of children allowed even if you do have a helper. Your child care license is specific to your home and to you as the provider.

Learn more about the types of child care in Oregon including child care provider licensing requirements.

Is there a cost for tutoring or materials?

All Gorge Literacy services and materials are free to our learners. Learners may keep and write in most workbook style books. Other books need to be kept in good condition and returned to us when you finish with them or stop your tutoring.

Tutors are also provided with teacher guides and copies of workbooks if necessary. These must be returned at the end of each tutor match.

Is there tutoring available for staff and students in MS Office 2013 software?

Yes, the Computer Applications department offers both 'face 2 face' (f2f) and 'online' (OL) tutoring in all MS Office Software and other software if needed for both staff and students. Go to CGCC's current term tutoring schedule for information. Both f2f and OL tutoring instructors will need students and staff to contact them to set up tutoring sessions.

May I repeat a course without penalty?

Yes. Your Gorge Scholars waiver may be used to cover a repeated class. Check with your advisor for degree requirements. Additionally, if you are receiving federal financial aid, repeating a course may have an impact on your financial aid status.

Must I be accepted for admission before I apply for financial aid?

No, you may apply for financial aid any time after January 1 for the upcoming academic year; however, you will need to file an Admissions form and register before you can receive financial aid.

My class is at the Hood River Campus, where do I buy my books?

Books for Hood River - Indian Creek Campus courses are sold at the Hood River - Indian Creek Campus Bookstore. Stop at the front desk and tell them the classes you need books for. The front desk person will get the books for you and has a register for you to pay or charge the books.

My financial aid hasn't come through, I don't have my book yet, what do I do? I ordered my book and it hasn't come in, what do I do?

Let your instructor know and start your work using any resources your instructor gives you. Some courses may have a textbook on reserve in the CGCC library.

My friend applied the same time I did. He was awarded. Why has my award not come yet?

Awards are completed in the order the application is received. Some applications require much more review than others. Verification, for example, is required of about half of all applications. This involves collecting documents, reviewing and correcting any errors. Several other types of review can add some time to the review of a particular file.

My parents are separated or divorced, what financial information should I include on the FAFSA? Do my stepparents' income and assets have to be reported on the FAFSA?

The parent you lived with most during the last 12 months is the parent whose information you need to include on your FAFSA. If you didn’t live with either parent, or if you lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent who provided the most support to you during the last 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you were actually supported by a parent.

If the parent whose information you are reporting on the FAFSA is married or remarried at the time you complete the FAFSA, you must include information about your stepparent even if they were not married the year previous to your applying.

My siblings attend another school, why is my aid different? Why is the aid offered by CGCC different than the aid I received at another college?

It is possible your sibling is eligible for different forms of aid. Universities often have institutional aid that a community college does not have. Direct Loan limits increase as a student moves to third and fourth year levels.

Your sibling may have a different EFC. This could be because they earned a different amount of income during the year than did you. Your aid may be different because, though there are federal guidelines for certain funds, each school must have a specific process for awarding these funds.

These school-specific practices are within the federal guidelines, but often differ from other college’s practices. Certain funds are quite limited. If a student is an early applicant at one school and the sibling is a later applicant at another school, award levels can be quite different.

Additionally, each school establishes a set of common student budgets based on actual and expected costs of going to school. This serves as somewhat of a ceiling to the total amount of aid a student may receive in a year of school. Elements of this budget can be quite different depending on the costs of the college each student is attending.

Financial aid offers can be different from one college to another for many reasons. Some types of financial aid are awarded based on criteria established by the institution. Though federal law assigns rules as to how aid should be distributed, the college is expected to maintain a more specific set of rules as to how limited funds are given to students.

Additionally, there are some types of funds that are quite limited and are awarded on a first come, first served basis to eligible students. Programs such as Federal Work Study (FWS) and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) are exceptionally limited. While you might receive them at one school, you may not receive them at another. Cost of attendance (COA) also varies from college to college and is a factor in how much aid you may receive. Some loan limits are higher at four year colleges as compared to community college.

The class that I plan to take is full. What should I do?

You can:

  1. Put yourself on a waitlist for the class and we will notify you when the space becomes available.
  2. Consult the class schedule and catalog to see when the class will be offered again.
  3. Meet with an advisor to look for different options.

What are allowed method of payments?

  • Cash: U.S. funds only
  • Credit Card: VISA, Mastercard and Discover via MyCGCC
  • Check: Personal checks for the amount due only
    • Make checks payable to CGCC. Two-party, post-dated and altered checks will not be accepted.
    • A $25 returned check charge is assessed on any returned check used in payment of your account, whether written by you or another party.

What are my payment responsibilities?

You are responsible for full payment of all charges on your account by the payment due date, even if your account is being paid by another party. You are responsible for informing CGCC of any address and telephone changes.

Even if you are under 18 years of age, you will be held liable for any charges on your account under ORS 348.105.

When you register for a class, you are liable for payment of the charges on that class, whether or not you attend. To have the charges removed, you must personally drop the class by the drop deadline.

What are prerequisites?

Prerequsites are classes required in order to take more advanced classes. College level classes typically require that you have completed WR115, RD115 and MTH20. Some of the classes, such as ART Ceramics or Drawing, do not have any prerequisites. Other such as Science or Math may have more advanced prerequisites. Consult the schedule to learn about prerequisites for specific classes.

What are scholarly or peer-review journals?

Articles in scholarly journals are usually written by experts for other experts and tend to be technical and contain professional jargon. General interest articles are written for the general public and are less technical.

What are some tips for success in college classes?

Students in the EC program will be treated like any other college student. Successful EC students are mature, have good time management skills and are self-motivated. Visit the Student Success page form more tips and resources.

What are the computer system requirements?

To participate in online and hybrid courses, students are expected to have access to the following equipment:


  • A modern computer system with a supported operating system.
  • An Internet connection 0.50 Mbps or better recommended. Test your connection.
  • An Internet browser.

Other Software

  • An email account and word processing software.
  • A sound card and speakers are required for some courses.
  • Current virus software installed and kept up to date.
  • Some classes may have specific class requirements for additional software.

What are the qualifications needed to teach a College Now course?

To qualify to teach College Now classes, you must meet the same education and training requirements as CGCC instructors in your subject area.

For College Now/Career and Tech Education (CTE) classes this is often an Associate's or Bachelor's degree in the subject area with some work experience in the field, although there are exceptions to these requirements based on the CTE program.

For College Now/Transfer (general education) classes, you must hold a Master's degree in the subject area or have completed 24 graduate credits in the subject area. This standard is used for all CGCC transfer courses and is specifically required by Oregon Administrative Rule (589-007-0200).

What are the types of licensed care in Oregon?

In Oregon there are three types of licensed child care:  Registered Family Child Care, Certified Family Child Care and Certified Child Care Centers. Preschools in Oregon are not licensed, but are required to be recorded. This means that their staff have had a background check and the program has completed the Recorded Preschool application.

Learn more about the types of child care in Oregon including child care provider licensing requirements.

What book do I need to use for my CAS/OS Class?

The book that will be used for your CAS/OS class will be listed in the course syllabus. Please be sure you check the ISBN number as all course assignments are specific to the book listed in the syllabus. If you don't own the software, all the computers at both The Dalles (TD) and Hood River (HR) campus will have the software on them.

What can I bring to the commencement ceremony?

Please make arrangements for family or friends to hold purses, wallets, or any other valuables you may bring with you as we do not have a secure place to store them.  Also, remember that CGCC campuses are alcohol and tobacco free zones.

What can I charge to my student account?

Generally, students may charge required textbooks and supplies to financial aid awards or third parties depending on the requirements of the funding source. Unsure of what you can charge? Contact your third party. Questions about third party authorization: Business Office Cashier, (541) 506-6057. Questions about financial aid: Financial Aid Office, (541) 506-6021.

What classes can I take through the Early College Program?

Early College students should check with their high school EC contact for courses that may be applicable to the EC program.

What classes can I take through the Running Start Program?

Students may choose from a full range of academic, profession-technical and vocational classes at the college level. When choosing courses each quarter from the college schedule, students should work closely with their high school counselors so that they are taking courses at CGCC that are equivalent to their high school graduation requirements.

What classes can I take?

You may choose from a full range of academic, profession-technical and vocational classes at the college level. When choosing courses each term from the college schedule, students should work closely with their high school counselors so that they are taking courses at CGCC that are equivalent to their high school graduation requirements.

What classes should I start with?

Students who have not completed college classes should take a placement assessment to determine their class placement.

Students who have previous college credits should consult with an academic advisor to determine what classes would be the most appropriate. Learn more about transferring credits to Columbia Gorge Community College.

What do I need to do before I can charge in the bookstore?

Check your student account under "Pay My Bill". Do you have a credit balance? If so, you may charge books and supplies up to this total amount. A credit balance exists when your total payments exceed your total charges each term. If you have a credit balance, after all tuition and fees have been paid, from either your financial aid award or third party authorization you will be able to charge in the bookstore.

Third party authorizations may restrict the amount you can charge. Questions about third party authorization: Business Office Cashier, (541) 506-6057. Questions about financial aid: Financial Aid Office, (541) 506-6021.

What do I need to do to pass the GED?

To earn a GED® certificate, you must pass each of the four tests on the GED® test with a minimum standard score of 145. If you do not pass any of the four tests, you may take them again; three versions of each test are available during a twelve-month period.

What does dependency status mean? How can I be considered independent?

You are not automatically independent for financial aid purposes simply because your parents stop claiming you as a tax exemption or refuse to give you support for your college education, or because you move away from home. Unwillingness or reluctance of parents to help pay for your educational costs, or becoming emancipated does not make you independent by federal law.

Except in very unusual and mitigating circumstances that can be documented, parents have the primary responsibility to financially assist in their dependent child’s education to the extent determined possible. In circumstances of abuse, or extreme estrangement or other extenuating circumstances, a student may obtain the Appeal to Apply without Parent Information form.

To be considered an independent student when completing the FAFSA, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • At least 24 years of age by December 31 of the year prior to filing
  • Married at the time of filing
  • Have a child or other legal dependents for which you, personally, provide more than 50% of the support for that child or legal dependent and are able to document that support
  • An orphan or ward of the court at any time since turning 13 (for reasons other than juvenile incarceration)
  • Documented homeless youth
  • Legally emancipated
  • Earned a Bachelor’s Degree
  • A veteran of the armed forces or currently on active duty in the armed force.

What GPA is used to determine my continued eligibility in the program?

You must maintain a cumulative GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.25 or above each academic year to remain in the program. For example, if you finish spring term 2019 with a cumulative GPA below 3.25, you will not be eligible for Gorge Scholars waivers for the next academic year. 

What GPA must a Running Start student earn to remain in the Running Start program?

To remain in Good Standing students must maintain a 2.0 GPA.

Students who do not maintain a GPA of 2.0 will be put on Academic Warning.

Students who do not maintain a GPA of 2.0 for two terms will be put on Academic Probation.

Failure to meet the 2.0 GPA standard 3 terms in a row will result in Academic Suspension.

Mor information regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress can be found in CGCC's catalog or in your Running Start Handbook.

What happens if I don’t complete all credits I signed up for?

What happens if I need more money? If the financial aid I'm getting is not enough, are there other options?

A student’s budget or Cost of Attendance (COA) consists of standard costs for tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and personal expenses. If a student incurs more costs in one particular area, it may be possible to increase the budget.

An Additional Expense Appeal form will need to be filled out. Increasing a student’s budget does not necessarily result in more aid, but may increase loan eligibility.

Some students may be able to borrow additional funds from alternative sources. If you are interested in an alternative loan, contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if you have eligibility to do so.

In no case will a student be able to borrow alternative loan funds until they have borrowed the maximum in Federal Direct Loan funds.

What happens if my account is past due?

A hold and late payment penalty of 10% of your account balance, up to $75, will be applied to your account seven (7) days after the due date, restricting future registration and transcript. End of term past due accounts are referred to the Oregon Department of Revenue and/or another outside collection agency.

The college reserves the right to institutionally withdraw you if your account becomes past due or has an unpaid balance from a prior term. Transcript requests will be delayed 15 days until payment is made.

What if I am falling behind in a class?

EC students who are falling behind in class have many resources to help them. The key to success is early detection and early intervention. As soon as you think you are falling behind in class, you should contact your EC high school representative. You should also contact the instructor for your class, to alert them that you are falling behind. Other resources to help you are your EC Academic Advisor, Mike Taphouse and the PASS program advisor, Shayna Dahl While there are many people who are part of the team to encourage and support you, it is the student’s responsibility to ask for help.

What if I am struggling in classes?

Sometimes college can be overwhelming. If you find yourself struggling academically for any reason, contact an advisor at CGCC for help.

What if I am undecided?

You may use General Studies as a major if you are in the process of deciding on a program but need to declare a major for financial aid purposes, Meet with an advisor to declare a major. Learn how to choose a program or major.

What if I can't attend the commencement ceremony?

Attendance at the commencement ceremony is not mandatory. If you can't or decided not to attend, your diploma will be mailed to the address the college has in your account.

If you have changed your address lately please make sure that you have updated your information on your student account

What if I decide I want to keep a rented book?

Great! All you need to do is bring the book back by the close of business on the last day of final exams and we will charge you the difference between the rental and purchase price of the new or used book you rented.

What if I get a private scholarship from a source outside CGCC?

Scholarships from non-CGCC agencies are often disbursed based on the donor’s request. This often requires verification of enrollment. Usually outside funds are sent to the college to be posted as a credit to your student account.

If you receive a scholarship from an outside source that comes in the form of a check made out to you, and does not go through CGCC, you are obligated to notify the CGCC financial aid office that you have received it and the amount of the award. If you receive a scholarship your aid may be reduced, usually in the loan area to keep you within the limits of your Student Budget.

What if I have to withdraw from ALL my classes and I have already received my financial aid?

You will be subject to the policy on Return of Title IV Funds and may have to repay part of your aid. If this happens, the Director of Financial Aid reviews your last date of attendance and applies the regulations accordingly. To receive future aid at CGCC, you must successfully complete a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal.

What if my GPA is going to be below a 2.0 for the term?

What if my parents or I had an unusual drop in income or increase in expenses?

You do not need to do anything until after you receive your Award Letter. Your original Award Letter will reflect the year’s information from your FAFSA.

You may then contact the Financial Aid Office to obtain a copy of the Change in Financial Situation appeal. Once the appeal form is complete please return it to the Financial Aid Office. Parent and student request for reevaluation based on unusual changes in financial circumstances during the calendar year will be reviewed after the initial award letter. If it is determined that your financial need has increased, this increase could be funded with loans and possibly an increased Pell Grant.

Do not submit documentation of changes until after you receive your first official award notification.

What if my parents won’t provide their tax return information?

If tax information is required from your parents, it must be provided on the FAFSA before CGCC will be able to continue processing your application. If it is not provided, you cannot receive aid.

What if the library doesn't have the book (or CD or DVD or article) I'm looking for?

If CGCC doesn't have what you are looking for, we can try to borrow it from another library using interlibrary loan (ILL). Request an item. Articles take 3-14 days, books 5-14 days.

What is "untaxed income for financial aid purposes"?

Untaxed Income is income received that is not subject to U.S. income taxes and is required to be reported on the FAFSA. It includes Social Security, welfare, child support and untaxed pensions. Even if you filed a tax return, complete the untaxed income portion of the FAFSA and Verification Worksheet sent to your CGCC student email, if requested.

What is a GED Certificate?

The certificate is not a high school diploma--rather, it is a high school equivalency. In other words, it certifies that the holder has a general educational background equal to that of the average high school graduate.

What is a self-assessment?

A self-assessment is tool, either online or paper, to help you discover more about yourself. Our assessments focus on interests, skills, personality and values. By understanding these things about you, you can make career choices that will be a good fit!

Contact us to schedule your assesment.

What is a Student Aid Report (SAR) and what do I do with it?

The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a report of the information you provided on the FAFSA. You should review this information carefully for accuracy and any special messages from the U.S. Department of Education. If you find incorrect information or you originally used estimated information and need to report actual figures, make your changes at FAFSA

What is am On-Track 1 appointment?

On-Track 1 is your first term check-in with an advisor. During this session you will discuss you academic and career goals and make an educational plan. This meeting is necessary to receive your “OK to Register" for the next term.

Contact an advisor or call Student Services to schedule the On-Track 1 appointment. 

What is an "OK to Register"?

The "OK to Register" ensure that the classes you have chosen can be applied towards your program of study. You must receive an "OK to Register" before every term unless you have already set up an extended educational plan with an advisor.

To receive an "OK to Register" contact an advisor.

What is an Award Letter and How Can I Access It?

An Award Letter is your notification of the different types of financial aid (grants, loans, work study and scholarships) that you’re eligible to receive for the academic year. You can access your Award Letter through your student account - selecting ‘Check Financial Aid Status’ then ‘What Has Been Awarded to Date?'

What is CGCC’s School Code?

The Federal School Code for Columbia Gorge Community College (CGCC) is 041519.

What is Child Care Resource and Referral?

Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies (CCR&Rs) are grass roots programs that provide child care referrals and parenting information to parents, training and technical assistance to child care providers, information and support for employers and for the community. There are currently 13 community-based CCR&Rs in Oregon receiving state funding. All are members of the Central Coordination of Oregon Child Care Resource and Referral.

What is Moodle?

CGCC Online is a Web-based learning management system called Moodle. It is used in online, hybrid and Web component classes.

What is Moodle?

CGCC Online is a Web-based learning management system called Moodle. It is used in online, hybrid and Web component classes.

What is my SAP status and how is it determined?

What is the approval process to teach a College Now course?

Please refer to page 5 of the College Now Program Handbook to read about the College Now course approval.

What is the Campus Ambassador Program?

CGCC Campus Ambassadors is a program that gives students an opportunity to be involved on campus. CGCC Campus Ambassadors will lead campus tours, help coordinate New Student Days, and assist with other student outreach activities. Campus Ambassadors will receive leadership training during the summer. This program is a fun way to learn more about the college as well as help prospective and new students. The time commitment for participation in this program is estimated to be between two and five hours per week.

What is the EFC?

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the calculation of the student’s ability to meet college expenses and serves as an indexing number to compare you and/or your family’s ability to meet expenses with every other student at college in the U.S. Your EFC is reported to you on your Student Aid Report (SAR)

What is the format of the classes for the Early College Program?

Most EC courses are offered as hybrid courses or online. Hybrid courses are offered online with some on campus classroom sessions. On ground (face-to-face) time is reduced. Online courses are 100% internet based. Many of the EC courses are devoted entirely to EC students. Other courses within the EC program will be a combination of EC students and students from the regular college population. EC students are also welcome to take regular lecture courses, but must ensure that they have consistent transportation to the college and attend all scheduled classes. Students should check with their high school EC contact if interested in lecture classes.

What is the IRS Form 1098T Tuition Statement?

A form 1098-T is mailed by January 31 each year to eligible students with a valid social security number who were billed during the prior tax year.  

If you received more scholarships and/or grants than the amount of qualified tuition and fees billed, the College is not required to produce a1098-T. The form will indicate enrollment status and the total of all tuition and fees that may qualify for an educational tax credit.

The fees reported may not be eligible in your situation. To determine which fees are eligible for you, please consult a tax advisor. 

What is the maximum income limit for financial aid?

CGCC’s financial aid office uses the results of the FAFSA to determine a student’s eligibility for need-based federal and state aid. Although there is no maximum income limit for financial aid, students with a lower Expected Family Contribution (EFC) are typically eligible for more financial aid.

There are many factors besides income that determine the EFC such as the size of the student’s household, number of people in the household attending college, the age of those in the household and the state of residence.

Certain loans are available regardless of income.

What is the process once a tutor/learner match is identified?

When we have identified a tutor that fits with a particular learner’s needs and schedule, our staff will meet with that tutor to review the learner’s goals and initial work plan to make sure the tutor is comfortable with the match before moving forward.

Once this is confirmed, a match meeting will be scheduled with the tutor, the learner and a program staff member. Here, we will help with the beginning steps of setting up your tutoring sessions (time, place, etc), review important information, introduce learning materials and activities, and help you get to know each other before your first official tutoring session.

What is the time commitment?

Dates, times, length and frequency of sessions are usually decided by each learner/tutor pair based on their needs and desires. To make sufficient progress, we recommend that tutor pairs meet for three hours per week (usually two 1½ hour sessions).

What is the verification process and why must I complete it?

Verification is the process to ensure the accuracy of the information reported on the FAFSA. Approximately 50% of students are selected each year for verification. This process also helps to ensure the integrity of the federal student aid programs. Application information is compared with documents supplied to the financial aid office by the applicant and corrections are made, if necessary, to the student's FAFSA.

Requested documents often include tax returns as well as other verification documents. If you are selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, complete and return all requested documents to CGCC’s financial aid office as soon as you can. We cannot determine your eligibility until the verification materials are received and processed.

What version of software do I need to use for CAS/OS classes?

For the 2014 - 15 school year all CAS courses will be taught using MS Office 2013 software. You can purchase a student version from the CGCC bookstore or you can purchase MS Office 2013 from Google sources. Another option is to purchase Microsoft Office 365 University version which is a four year subscription with the software for all CAS Classes included. The library also has Microsoft Office 2013 on all of their computers.

When are the classes offered?

Classes are offered during the day and in the evenings. Running Start students may choose to take classes at The Dalles Campus, Hood River - Indian Creek Campus or online.

Running Start students may choose to take classes fall, winter, and/or spring term.

When can I register for classes?

Students with more completed credits receive priority for registration. Consult the Registration Priority Schedule for the day and time you can register. See Registration Process for details.

When is payment due?

Upon registration, your account balance is shown on your schedule of classes, available online through your student account, MyCGCC. Once logged in, click on "Print Existing Schedule" on the MyCGCC Resources Menu.

Credit Classes

Full payment or college approved financial arrangements must be in place by the first Friday of the term. If you enroll after that date, payment is due upon registration. If you have financial arrangements that will not cover the full term charges, you must pay the difference by the due date.

Adult Continuing Education Classes

Full payment is due at the time of registration. Upon registration, your account balance is shown on your schedule of classes available through MyCGCC.

When is the best time to apply?

Applications to the Expanded Options program are typically due in spring, prior to your junior or senior high school year. Some high schools allow eligible students to apply throughout the school year, whereas others have specific deadlines. Please consult with your high school counselor about the application dates at your school.

Once you are accepted to the program and have met the placement assessment requirements, you can take classes at CGCC in fall, winter and/or spring.

When is the book Buyback?

The Columbia Gorge Community College (CGCC) book buyback takes place on the Wednesday & Thursday of the last week of each term (finals week). Wednesday at the Hood River - Indian Creek Campus, Thursday at The Dalles Campus.

Buyback dates and times.

There is no cash refund for books bought back and the only books eligible for buyback are ones that were purchased from CGCC Bookstore. Student accounts will be credited for the books bought back reducing fees owed either for the current term or the following term. If this is your last term and there is nothing owed on your account a check will be issued for the buyback amount.

When is the last date to apply for aid?

Technically, the deadline is at the end of each school year, but students may apply anytime during the year until that date. Earlier applications often receive consideration for certain limited funds. Pell Grants are always available to eligible students but Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans have term application deadlines.

When may I apply?

The 2018-19 Gorge Scholars application is available beginning February 1, 2018 and accepted until noon onJuly 27, 2018.

When should I apply for financial aid?

You must apply for financial aid every year. The best time to apply is as soon as possible after January 1, prior to the school year for which you are applying.

If you apply prior to February 1st each year, you may be eligible for need-based grants such as, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and/or Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG).

Even if you apply after February 1st each year, you should still apply as soon as possible with the understanding that some programs have limited funds and are awarded to eligible students on a first-come, first-served basis.

When will I get an Award Letter?

You can anticipate receiving an award letter in 6 – 10 weeks from the date your application and file at CGCC are complete. This time certainly varies depending on the time of year and how early your application is received after January 1. All applicants completing the FAFSA and any additional requirements for financial aid at CGCC will be notified formally of eligibility through the student's college email account.

When will I get my money?

Generally, financial aid awards are placed on your CGCC student account during the week before the term begins. This allows you to charge books and supplies at the Bookstore.

If your enrollment level (# of credits) for any term does not match your current award level, your funds may be delayed. Providing an Enrollment Change form to the financial aid office prior to the second week of each term can help you avoid delay.

Where can I access my CGCC Online class on campus?

The library in Building 1 at The Dalles Campus or the commons area at the Hood River - Indian Creek Campus.

Where can I find documents and resources for Running Start?

Many Running Start students find the following resources and documents useful:

Running Start Handbook: includes important information, important dates and important policies

Running Start Enrollment Verification Form: All Running Start students must submit this form each term. Students who do not submit this form at the start of each term may be responsible for payment of tuition.

Release of Information form: FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 ) requires the institution to hold education records confidential unless the student signs a release of information form. In signing the Running Start Enrollment Verification form the student gives permission for college staff to release his/her grades to the high school and to discuss various aspects of his/her program participation with the high school/district officials. Students must sign this additional Release of Information form for college staff and faculty to discuss grades, attendance, etc with parents and/or guardians.

Where can I find documents and resources for the Early College Program?

Visit the EC Resources and Forms. If you require a resource or form that is not found here, please contact your EC Advisor, Mike Taphouse at

Where do I buy books for online classes?

Books for online classes are available at The Dalles Campus Bookstore. If you live out of town and would like books shipped to you, contact us, (541) 506-6061.

Where do tutoring sessions take place?

Tutoring sessions generally take place in any public setting within the community that is convenient and comfortable for the pair. This could include your community library, a room in a church or social service agency, a coffee shop or restaurant.

The best and the most common location for meetings is on one of the CGCC campuses in a common area or reserved classroom/meeting room. We can help you with finding appropriate meeting locations if necessary. We discourage pairs meeting in private homes for a variety of reasons.

Which classes are not eligible for financial aid?

Which grades count/don’t count toward satisfactory Academic Progress Standards?

Which high schools are eligible?

Eligible students must graduate from one of the following high schools, or be home school students living in an area serviced by those schools. 




Arlington High School Arlington OR
Bickleton School Bickleton WA
Columbia High School White Salmon WA
Condon High School Condon OR
Dufur High School Dufur OR
Glenwood High School Glenwood WA
Goldendale Christian School Goldendale WA
Goldendale High School Goldendale WA
Hood River Valley High School Hood River OR
Horizon Christian School Hood River OR
Klickitat High School Klickitat WA
Lyle Jr-Sr High School Lyle WA
Mitchell High School Mitchell OR
Sherman County High School Moro OR
Sonrise Academy The Dalles OR
South Wasco County Jr-Sr High School Maupin OR
Spray High School Spray OR
Stevenson High School Stevenson WA
The Dalles Wahtonka High School The Dalles OR
Trout Lake High School Trout Lake WA
Wheeler High School Fossil OR
Wishram High School Wishram WA

Who can use the library?


  • Use computers (request a guest pass at the library help desk)
  • Read newspapers and magazines
  • Use our study rooms and others spaces
  • Use our databases in the library

Public patrons

  • Check out books, DVDs and CDs.

CGCC students, faculty and staff

Who do I call if I think my provider is not following the rules?

Call the Office of Child Care at 1-800-556-6616.

Who may earn a GED Certificate?

To earn a GED® certificate, you must be at least 18 years old; if you are 16 or 17 years old you must obtain a written release from compulsory school attendance.

Who will I be working with and what will I be teaching?

We have a diversity of learners with different needs and abilities. Generally, we serve any adult within the Columbia Gorge Community College (CGCC) service area in the areas of basic reading, writing, math and English conversation skills (ESOL). We also have learners with specific goals such as working towards a GED, citizenship status, computer, and employment/life skills needs. When possible, we will take your preferences into account as to what type of learner you might like to work with.

Why do I have to provide parent information?

Parent information is used because the U.S. Congress has stated that families have the primary responsibility of funding a college education. Parent information is not necessary if you are independent.

Why do I need to cite my sources?

Citing is giving credit to sources of information you used. Otherwise, you are claiming it is all your own idea. To do so is called plagiarizing. Learn how to correctly cite your sources.

Why do I need to log in to use the library computers?

By using a computer login, the library is able to keep track of printing costs. This means:

  • We can give currently registered students $5 worth of free printing per quarter
  • The amount of money is linked to your library card number
  • Remaining balances will roll over to the next quarter

Why has my aid been canceled and what can I do?

The main reason for aid being canceled is due to lack of enrollment prior to the beginning of the term. Aid will also be cancelled if the student is not making Satisfactory Academic Progress and has not successfully appealed. Loans must be cancelled if there is a period of non-enrollment (not counting summer). In each of these cases, aid can usually be reinstated by contacting the financial aid office and completing the required documentation.

Why haven’t I received my loans yet?

Your loan may not have disbursed for one or more of the following reasons:

  • Prior to disbursement, your enrollment level dropped to less than half time making you ineligible for loan
  • You have not submitted the Federal Direct Loan Revision/Request form
  • You have not completed Entrance Counseling
  • You have not signed the Master Promissory Note, if you are a first time borrower
  • Your Loan Request form was submitted, but sent back to you because it is incomplete
  • You are currently in “disqualification” status based on grades or non-completion of credits
  • You are a first time borrower and are subject to a 30 delay in your first disbursement
  • Your loan request has been received but your loan has not yet been certified
  • Your loan has been certified by CGCC but electronic funds have not yet arrived

Why isn’t the book for my class available for rent?

Not all classes will have rental books available, in addition the rental program is new and we are working on adding more titles each term.

Why should you get a GED Certificate?

When selecting employees or accepting applicants to schools and training programs, most employers, schools, and apprenticeship programs consider the GED® certificate a satisfactory substitute for the high school diploma. The GED® certificate is accepted for admission to Oregon 4-year colleges. Please check with the college of your choice for admission requirements.

Will my award change if I drop my enrollment from full-time to part-time?

Yes, Pell grants are prorated to 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 of full-time award. Oregon grants and SEOG are also affected by less than full-time enrollment and are not available to less than half-time eligible students. Federal Work Study and Stafford loans are not changed by enrollment changes but do require at least half-time enrollment.

Will my CGCC credits transfer to other colleges or universities?

In most cases, yes, but careful planning is necessary! See an advisor, as soon as possible, if you intend to transfer to another college or a training program.

An advisor will help you to:

  • Select possible transfer colleges, univerisities or training programs based on your career goals.
  • Determine which courses you will need and choose courses that will be transferable. 
  • Research application and scholarship deadlines.

Will my CGCC credits transfer to other colleges or universities?

In most cases, yes, but careful planning is necessary! The EC program was designed so that students can transfer to a 4 year college. EC students should check with their EC High School representative or their EC Academic Advisor, as soon as possible, if they intend to transfer to another college or a training program.

Your EC High School Representative or EC Academic Advisor will help you to:

  • Select possible transfer colleges, universities or training programs based on your career goals. 
  • Determine which courses you will need and choose courses that will be transferable.     
  • Research application and scholarship deadlines.

Will my credits transfer to other colleges and universities?

College level, general education classes (100-level and higher) completed at CGCC will transfer to other colleges and universities.

Will someone come to my home before I become licensed?

Yes, once your application is processed, the Child Care Licensing Specialist for your area will call and make an appointment to come to your home to complete a Health and Safety Review. This visit takes about one hour.

Learn more about the types of child care in Oregon including child care provider licensing requirements.

Will the Bookstore hold books for me?

No, books are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.