Task 5: Editorial Reading and
AnalysisFind 4 editorials on a topic of
interest to you. Make a copy of each editorial to work with. Complete the
Find 2 political cartoons that address the same topic
as 2 of the editorials you used for this activity. The Internet, news magazines
and newspapers are all good sources.
- Highlight the main point, or thesis, of each editorial.
With a different color, highlight each of the supporting points.
- Compare the patterns of the editorials. Is each main
point in the same place in the editorial (such as in the first paragraph or
the last paragraph?)? Which pattern seems most effective to you? Why?
- Circle any phrases or words that are particularly
powerful or create strong visual images.
- Draw a star at the top of the editorial that seems to be
the most effective and convincing. How did the author convince you?
- Briefly explain the point each cartoonist is trying to
- Is each cartoon effective? Why or why not?